- This layer is the lowest layer in the TCP/IP model.
- This layer contains the protocols that the computer uses to deliver data to the other computers and devices that are attached to the network via a cable or other media.
- The protocols of this layer perform three distinct functions : –
- They define how to use the network to transmit a frame, which is the data unit passed across the physical connection.
- They exchange data between the computer and the physical medium of network.
- They deliver data between two devices on the same network using the physical address.
- The network access layer includes a large number of LAN ( all the variations of Ethernet protocols and other LAN standards ) and popular WAN standards ( Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) and Frame Relay )protocols.
- The list of some important Network Interface layer’s protocols are – Ethernet, Token Ring, Frame Relay, ATM etc.
313 total views, 2 views today