- Memory is used as a working storage for temporarily/permanent storing the data and intermediate results generated during program execution.
- Computers use two kinds of memories: primary & secondary.
- Primary Memory –
- The Primary Memory is often referred to as RAM in everyday language.
- It is a read/write memory used to store both the program and data.
- Since RAM is volatile, computers also use a second level of memory- secondary memory- to permanently store the contents.
- Secondary Memory –
- Hard Disk is the non-removable secondary storage device which stores virtually everything on the machine.
- Computers also use other removable secondary memories like CD-ROMs, Magnetic tapes and recently Flash Drives to permanently take backup of the data onto Hard Disk or to transfer data from one machine to another.
340 total views, 2 views today