- On the desktop we have several small images called as icons.
- These Icons may also be found on the toolbars and in the menus of computer application software such as Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel etc .
- Icons are more user-friendly compare to text-based commands.
- Desktop is the background area on our computer screen.
- We can customize our desktop in several ways. We can add background picture, background color etc. on a desktop.
- Icons on a desktop are small graphical images which represents various items found on a desktop such as my computer, recycle bin, my documents etc. We can also rename an icon by right-clicking on it.
- In most modern computers, the desktop is an important part of Graphical User Interface (GUI).
- A desktop is a place which holds icons, files, folders etc.
- Desktop is a visible image which covers the entire screen.
- The desktop environment provides GUI to the Personal Computer users.
- Some of the commonly used items found on a Desktop are:
- My Computer
- My Documents
- Recycle Bin
- Task Bar
- This icon displays the main components of our computer.
- We can open any of the items in this window to further examine the components of our computer by clicking on my computer icon.
- It displays different drives/disks attached with the computer.
- It is the default space in Microsoft Windows where all the files are stored unless we specifically instruct the computer to save at a specified location.
- It is a special folder where the system stores user’s files, pictures, music, download etc.
- In Windows Operating System, Recycle Bin is a temporary folder which holds files and folders before it is permanently deleted from the storage devices.
- The Recycle Bin only stores, files deleted from hard drives, not from removable media, such as memory cards and pen drive/ flash drives.
- It also doesn’t store files deleted from network drives.
- We can also restore the files from the recycle bin to its original location.
- It is also possible that we can bypass the recycle bin and the files deleted will be directly removed from the computer without moving it to the recycle bin. For this we keep holding the SHIFT key and delete the desired files. Sometimes it might happen that we need to restore the files which has been deleted accidentally.
- We can restore the deleted files from recycle bin. For this we follow these steps : –
- Double click the icon of recycle bin on the desktop
- Choose a file which we want to restore back and right-click on it and then click restore
- To restore all the files in the recycle bin click on restore all items.
- The taskbar is the long horizontal bar/area at the bottom of desktop screen.
- It is used to launch and monitor running applications.
- It has four main sections:
The Start button which opens the start menu.
The Quick Launch Toolbar which allows us to open programs with a single click.
The Middle Section allows us to see the documents and programs which we have opened and to switch between them.
The Notification Area, which includes a clock and icons which shows the status of certain programs and computer settings.
3,172 total views, 5 views today